Wednesday 14 May 2008

Geri: 'I looked like a drag queen'

Geri Halliwell, 35, became one of the most famous women in the world as part of the Spice Girls before embarking on a solo career. She had a daughter, Bluebell Madonna, in 2006 and has reinvented herself as a children's author with a series of books about a ginger girl called Ugenia Lavender. The first, titled Ugenia Lavender, is out now, published by Macmillan.

What are the challenges of writing a children’s book?Finding the commitment to work to a deadline was a challenge. I initially wrote three stories but the publishers decided they wanted 18 of them.
Who are your literary heroes?CS Lewis, Enid Blyton and Oscar Wilde – my favourite book is The Picture Of Dorian Gray. As an adult reader, I like The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. I love it when a novel takes you to another place and time and you learn something. It’s about a German girl hiding a Jew in her cellar. I loved The Other Boleyn Girl, too. I felt I understood the court of Henry VIII by reading that.
Each of the Ugenia stories has a moral. Do you have a philosophy for life?The tips in the book are the ones that I believe in myself. Like ‘feel the fear and feel better’ or ‘perfectionism kills art’. There are loads. ‘What goes around comes around’ is another – there are some clichéd ones, but they’re true.

What kind of mother are you?Children thrive on stability and routine. I believe in routine and setting boundaries for her. Equally, I like being a fun parent. I’m often on my hands and knees with her pretending to be a growling bear. You need to give them freedom but with safe boundaries.

Can you identify with John Prescott? You’re both high-profile bulimics.It was good he shared his story – you can find freedom in other people’s honesty. I don’t really know much about the specifics of his experience, so I can’t comment.
I worked in a chip shop but I was so short I couldn’t see over the counter. It was a horrible, greasy nightmare

What were the highlights of the Spice Girls reunion?The camaraderie, the fun I had with the girls and seeing how committed and lovely the fans were. I loved doing the O2. It was great having that continuity, going there every day and going back to my own home afterwards.
Have you got any plans for another reunion?It’s a bit too soon to be thinking about that.

Did you keep any memorabilia?I liked the new Union Jack dress – I kept that. I do have a clear-out every now and again though.

Did you really revive a girl from a coma by singing to her?I sang to her when she was in her coma and she started wiggling her toes. It was a bizarre moment. It made me feel very grateful to have my health and reminded me how precious life is.

What’s the most ridiculous outfit you’ve worn?It was a swimming costume thing that looked like an American flag. I wore it to an American music awards event. I tried to outdo myself. The platforms were as high as I could find but the make-up was out of control. I looked like a drag queen. I actually asked: ‘Do you think my make-up’s a bit much?’ and the make-up artist said: ‘No! You look fabulous!’ I thought: ‘Hmm, I’m not sure.’ I look back and I’m horrified.
Have you got any plans to resurrect your solo pop career?In a word, ‘no’. I’ve been there and done it and don’t need to do it again.

What’s been the worst job you’ve ever had?I worked in a fish and chip shop but I was so short I couldn’t see over the counter. I’d go home at the end of the shifts with a greasy slick on my forehead. It was a horrible, greasy nightmare. I did it for one summer when I was 16.
What’s been your most extravagant purchase?I bought an MGB roadster. It was a 1967 model. I left the handbrake off and it rolled into a lamp post.

What’s happened to Harry the dog?He stays at my mum’s house. My stepfather treats him like a surrogate baby. He’s gone somewhere he can find a bit more affection.

0 comments: