Wednesday 30 April 2008

Why NE-YO snubbed the spice girls

R&B ACE Ne-Yo turned down a request from the Spice Girls to pen them an urban banger of a comeback single.
The So Sick man, who has written for BeyoncĂ©, 26, and Leona Lewis, 23, said he couldn’t fit them into his crammed schedule as he was busy crafting tunes for Rihanna, 20.Speaking to me from New York, Ne-Yo revealed: “Spice Girls asked me to write some songs but I couldn’t find time.“They wanted something to put on their comeback album but I never got round to getting it done. I was recording songs for Rihanna at the time.”That’s not to say Ne-Yo isn’t a fan of the all-conquering girlband – quite the opposite.He confessed: “Scary Spice is my favourite all day long, although I like Posh too. She and Beckham are a real power couple in the US. Even if they just go to dinner it’s a big thing.”Ne-Yo was in the studio adding the finishing touches to his new record The Year Of The Gentleman, out on June 23, when we chatted. The 25-year-old says he’s fed up with the current urban scene and plans to shake it up with this UK-influenced collection of tunes.He told me: “I’m slightly bored with urban music. I’m the kind of artist who’s never wanted to be put in a box.
ABOVE: The ladies wanted a song written for their comeback album
The first single Closer is inspired by the British house and dance scene – dark, smoky clubs.“It’s coming along

0 comments: