Monday 28 April 2008

Mel B reveals ' No spice gigs for some time (BBC)

Mel B has rung in from Los Angeles to tell Newsbeat about what's happening with the Spice Girls and her latest job, as an Ultimo lingerie model. Scary Spice is also working on two TV shows in the States, has her own fashion range and is writing another solo album.
The Spice Girls tour ended quite abruptly. Are you girls all still in touch?
Yeah, we are. We're friends so you can never get away from, you know, texting each other and doing a reach out and saying hi. It's all nice. But for us, the tour wasn't an abrupt end at all cos we only started off to do 10 shows and it just escalated. There were more and more demands from here, there and everywhere. Our tour went on pretty long considering what we actually started out for it do be. But it was brilliant. We all had so much fun. It was great.
There are rumours that the Spice Girls are going to perform at Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday bash. Is that true?
No, I don't think we are. But I did hear about that and we're all big fans of Nelson Mandela but I don't think we're going to be doing that. I know we all have a lot of stuff going on. I know that I'm here working probably until the end of the year. But I know I don't have a break. But he's a great guy. I can't believe he's 90.
If he asked you, what would you say?
I'm not quite sure if we have been asked. But I know that we're not going to be performing together at all for quite some time right now.
How is it juggling your work and family life?
Everything's great. Everything I do I really thoroughly enjoy. And I've got a new TV show that I'm halfway through filming that me and my husband are producers on. It's called Singing Office with Joey Fatone and we literally ransack offices and get people to sing and give them a break from their everyday work experience. We give them a chance in a lifetime to perform and win a tonne of cash and just enjoy themselves. So I've got that going on.
What other projects have you got lined up?
I'm about seven songs deep into my album. I'm just in the midst of designing my clothing line. And I've just interviewed Harrison Ford the other day for Access Hollywood. I'm their in house correspondent/reporter, which is so much fun doing. Everything that I'm doing right now, I work around my kid's schedules. So I always make sure that I have time with them and I spend time with them. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to do what I do.
It sounds like you're keeping busy...
Yeah, it's nice. I mean, today I'm shooting all day at an aquarium. The kids have got off school so they're all coming with me and they're all gonna have a fun day down there. They're not working though, I am.
How did you get the Ultimo underwear contract?
Do you know what. I've no idea. I actually got an offer in and I was like - you know what - I've never thought about doing underwear before and I probably never would unless somebody was to mention it to me. The way Michelle Mone from Ultimo described her underwear, and I looked at her past stuff online, and I was like, 'You know what, why not. I'm gonna do it'.

0 comments: